A unique and exciting opportunity for a Head of Design and Engineering to join us a world leading niche peristaltic pump and tubing manufacturer.
Watson-Marlow Fluid Technology Group (WMFTG) is the world leader in niche peristaltic and sinusoidal pumps and associated fluid path technologies. With over 50 years of experience supplying engineering and process expertise and over one million pumps supplied worldwide.
Watson Marlow Limited, based in Falmouth, is looking to recruit an outstanding innovative and driven individual to lead new product development across standard, OEM and engineered product ranges.
As an inspirational leader you will provide vision and drive WML business strategy through development and implementation of accelerated new product development.
Purpose of Role
Enhance, develop and deliver accelerated new product development & market leading products and technologies.
As part of the Senior Leadership Team you will be part of the strategy deployment, decision-making process, driving projects forward, maximizing long term company profitability to shape an already hugely successful company.
- Leadership of Falmouth NPD engineering authorities, seeking excellence in all engineering disciplines, and working collaboratively to support OEM and Applications commercial engineering functions
- To coach, develop and manage the Design, Engineering and OEM NPD teams of electrical, electronic, software and mechanical designers, plus material scientists and test engineers
- Responsible for the delivery of the technology roadmap and collaboration in the product roadmap
- To promote engineering best practices and improve the effectiveness of existing processes
- To collaborate with WMFTG Group Product Management teams and other key stakeholders on global excellence in NPD engineering
- To implement new technologies and equipment
- To provide necessary guidance to ensure engineering compliance with all applicable external and internal regulations and requirements
- To initiate and apply operational excellence programs and drive Continuous Improvement to meet world class manufacturing standards whilst continuously developing engineering best practices
- To manage the engineering budget and operate an efficient and effective Engineering activity through managing the Engineering site budget and resources
- Ideally, five (5) years with demonstrable experience in a senior Design / Engineering role, preferably within a lean manufacturing and engineering environment, and with experience of New Product Development
- Proven track record in a similar role, leading and developing cross-functional, talented engineering teams
- Track record of effective team management/development of cross-functional design / engineering teams
- Proven track record for product delivery: entrepreneurial drive and a demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast paced environment
- Broad background and knowledge of a range of technologies, and the insight to set the right strategy
- Technically astute, with strong experience in delivering a range of products on time and on budget
- Proven experience of effectively implementing continuous improvement
- Understanding of financial aspects of NPD such as IFRS, tax relief
- Ability to translate engineering issues into CAPEX and OPEX assumptions
- Experience of IP protection through patents
- Demonstrable experience working collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders, with an excellent understanding of business inter-dependencies
- Proven management of personal development of self and of maintaining current knowledge base
- Strong background in Industrial and Biopharmaceutical sectors, experience of GMP preferable
- Educated to minimum of BEng degree level (or equivalent), ideally MEng in a related discipline.
- Chartered Engineering qualification is highly desirable.
The successful candidate will be offered a competitive salary package plus a range of staff benefits including pension.
Closing date for all applications is 23 August 2019.
Bickland Water Road
Additional enquiries (no agencies please):
Phone: 01326 254807