EHS and Sustainability has always been a priority for Spirax-Sarco Engineering plc (our parent company) and from 2016, a dedicated, central resource has been appointed within WMFTG to proactively drive performance. The overall aim is to create safe, healthy & sustainable workplaces, across the globe, where we can all thrive. The Safety of our people has become our number one priority, and our 2019 employee survey confirms that we are moving in the right direction with Safety scoring 87%. The EHS&S Manager is critical in helping us continue our evolution and further embed Health & Safety and Sustainability into everything we do.
The EHS&S Manager will be responsible for ensuring that WMFTG meets its Legal, Financial and moral obligations across WMFTG by ensuring all companies meet local legislation and by developing minimum standards to drive global performance.
The key activities will include:
- Implementing the SSE EHS policy and ensuring global compliance with local legilsation.
- Co-ordinating the development and implementation of WMFTG’s EHS and Sustainability strategy, objectives and metrics.
- Leading the EHS&S activity to drive performance excellence, through increasing global collaboration and competence, supported by high-quality initiatives, processes, systems, metrics and best practice.
People and cultural change
- Developing an environment where best-in-class EHS&S behaviours create a culture of excellence.
- Networking across the business with key stakeholders and EHS leaders to increase the maturity of EHS&S within our organisation.
- Providing individuals and teams from multiple geographies and functions with guidance, advice and practical support.
- Delivering effective global communications to the business, in collaboration with Marketing and HR.
- Increasing the global competency of our teams, through clear roles & responsibilities and increased capabilities.
EHS Compliance and risk management
- Leading the planning and execution of our global audit program as well as monitoring risk assessments in order to improve compliance and mitigate risk across WMFTG.
- Leading and/or supporting the investigation of incidents, identification of root cause and closure of action.
Best practice, process and standards
- Developing and deploying best practices, process and standards for EHS&S.
- Collaborating with colleagues across SSE.
- Managing the development and implementation of our Sustainability framework in collaboration with the Sustainability committee and local teams.
Departmental management and reporting
- Creating and agreeing annual plans and priorities.
- Managing the WMFTG Global EHS&S department.
- Managing EHS&S reporting across WMFTG globally.
- Being locally responsible for EHS&S at the Pendennis office in Falmouth.
Key objectives and metrics:
The key objective of this role is to build a Health and Safety culture that creates behaviours where all colleagues, think, act and operate safely, helping us achieve our target of zero accidents and incidents. With respect to Sustainability our desire is to maximise our social impact and minimize our environmental impact.
- Leading/lagging indicators – EHS Concerns, Near Misses, Training Units, Accidents/Incidents and LTA.
- Audit completion and timely action closure.
- Carbon footprint and Energy, Waste and Water usage.
- Community engagement value and hours volunteered.
- Self-managing and highly motivated, with strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in multiple teams.
- Strong advocacy, influencing, and communication skills.
- The ability to engage others effectively and drive change across all levels, functions and geographies.
- Strategic, with the vision to plan a clear direction for EHS and Sustainability.
- Pragmatic and practical; can develop process and standards as well as manage a team.
- An advocate of our Core Values.
- Process/system orientated.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel globally as appropriate for the role.
- Direct experience of leading, developing and implementing best-practice EHS and Sustainability process, preferably across disparate teams.
- An EHS professional with experience of developing Health and Wellbeing and Sustainability policy.
- Strong understanding of OHSAS18001, ISO45001 and ISO50001.
- Experience of working within group operations and affecting change across all levels, functions and geographies.
- Experience of leading EHS audits and risk assessments within manufacturing and sales operations.
- Educated to degree status in aligned discipline or equivalent practical experience.
- Valid qualification in occupational Health and Safety e.g. BSc/BA in Safety management, NEBOSH certificate or diploma.
To apply, please submit your CV with a cover letter to Vanessa Willitts at email@example.com by 17th February.